Thursday, December 2, 2010

Vitamin D and Fertility

Well last week on Monday I went in and had my annual exam.  It was a very weird  experience for me and I have decided not to continue going to this doctor and to try to find a new one.  Well anyways, they took blood to check routines things such as cholesterol...ect. 

 I got a call this last Monday (so a week later) and was told that I have a Vitamin D deficiency.....not just low but deficient and they wanted me to take a prescription strength Vit. D supplement.  Ok so no big deal.  I go to the pharmacy to get my prescription and it is for 50,000 units of vit D per week and according to the pharmacist they only prescibe this high of a dosage when your levels are critically low.....so now I have moved from just being deficient to critically low.  UGH. 

Well I know I have heard in the past about Vit D deficiencies but I have never really paid much attention to it as I just assumed my levels must be fine.....I mean after all I have spent thousands of dollars getting testing done at the RE's office which included vials upon vials of blood being drawn.  The 1st time they took blood they drew 7 vials of blood.  I mean you would think that they would have tested my vitamin levels afterall they wasted some of my blood and money to test my blood type which I already knew because I have a daughter and they have to know what blood type you are when you get preg and I also happen to be O- so I have to get special shots when I am preg becuause of this.  I told the RE what my blood type was but apparently my word was not good enough and she had to make sure of it anyways....   sorry about the slight off topic rant......back to the subject of Vit D

So in light of this new information....I had decided to find out more information about.  Well come to find out that having a Vit D deficiency can CAUSE fertility probs.  It upsets the balance of your hormones and can cause irregular cycles as well as problems with ovulation.  Along, with these issues it can cause lining issues so that your lining does not form properly to allow for implantation of a fertilized egg if you had even managed to ovulate at all.

I found a couple interesting articles about Vit D and Fertility and it seems that this could be my missing ingredient.  The symptoms fit me perfectly.  I have missing or delayed ovulation and irregular cycles. 

Vit D deficiencies can cause problems with ovulation in that it can be the reason for a lack of ovulation. The first article specifically mentions PCOS and that taking Vit D can improve the symptoms of PCOS including acne, excess hair and increased weight. The second article also mentions PCOS and also talks about other affects on fertility.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/3434420/Vitamin-D-can-aid-fertility.html


http://www.gettingpregnantnow.org/Articles/The_Fertility_Nutrient__Vitamin_D.html


http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art62381.asp
 
 
 
I have huge hopes that this is going to help me achieve the one thing that I want the most........Getting Pregnant.    I hope that I am not disappointed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment